What is degrowth?
Degrowth means an ecologically sustainable and socially just society
(and economy). This requires ensuring the well being of all and
respecting ecological boundaries . We know that infinite growth isn’t
possible on a finite planet. The goal of degrowth is therefore a social
ecological transformation that enables a good life for all. Degrowth
brings together utopias, scientific findings, proposals, and practical
projects that show what a new society could look like, how it could
function, and how we can get there.
We distance ourselves from forms of growth criticism that do not focus on ensuring a good life for all. We reject right-wing, racist and sexist forms of growth critique.
You like the idea, but what does it entail?
- Orientation towards a good life for all – this includes a slower life, new forms of prosperity and a good life together.
- Less production and consumption in the Global North, more self-determination and opportunities in the Global South.
- More democracy for genuine political participation
- Social improvement while recognizing sufficiency
- Emphasis on regional economic cycles, etc.
Find more information on Degrowth.info!